Search this site
Junior College Football
8/25 Practice Report
Posted Aug 25, 2012
Come see what happened in today's practice as the Green Wave starts to prepare for their season opener against Rutgers.
Notes from today's (8/25) practice:
- Biggest news on the injury front is that
was at today's practice without a walking boot on and was not noticeably limping as he walked up and down the sidelines. This is good news as the team aims to have him back for the opener.
- Others not dressed out today include WR
, WR Fudge Van Hooser, OL Greg Thomson, OL
, TE Josh Drum, CB Kendrick Banks, LB
, and WR
- Quick notes on Green Wave Freshmen players, as most of those participating in practice have impressed. Again, the standout seems to be DB
who is making the biggest impression. Others have noted that the freshmen OL who have been rotating in and out with the 1's have a lot of raw potential and will continue to develop into monsters as they progress.
- The team has begun full prep for Rutgers as the game is only a week away. The one's faced off against each other all practice, with each side rotating each period who was running the Rutgers' plays and who ran Tulane's plays. In talking to players and coaches this was taken from the Saints' style of practice. I asked Coach Johnson and Coach Washington about this after practice. See below for the quotes.
- Special Teams interrupted the installation of Rutgers' plays to work kickoffs and field goals. Santos made all of his field goals including a couple difficult angles from left hash from 40 to 50 yards. Santos also booted his kickoffs into the end zone with
kicking a few sunshine kicks to the 5.
- Standout players of practice include
who had a pick six during defense installation, Ryan Grant ran some great routes and caught a few deep balls , but the entire defensive backfield played very well collecting a handful of interceptions from QBs
Quotes from Coach Johnson:
On the ones v. Ones starting out the scout team: "The best part about the way we do that is to get a full speed rep and it gives both sides a much better look.
On today's practice: "We had guys out there today that just don't know how to practice yet and we are getting through that. It's a matter of getting them in the system, but we had a good practice today, I feel good about it."
Coach Lionel Washington quotes:
On Rutgers QB Announcement: "it doesn't change anything, we have been preparing to play Rutgers and we just have to go out and do what we do well."
On the ones v. Ones for scout teams: "I think it gives us good reps and a more realistic look for what we are going to see in the games. It sets the tempo right so once the tempo is set we can have the rest of practice go right too."
Standouts for the week: "everyone is standing out. The whole defense is working hard and taking care of their responsibilities and we are looking good. Whether it's covering the deep ball, or squeezing a three technique, everyone is doing their job."
Compu-Picks 2012 Preview: C-USA
Aug 25, 2012
2012 Green Wave Defensive Preview
Aug 24, 2012
2012 Green Wave Offensive Preview
Aug 23, 2012
2014 Scout.com Recruiting Yearbook
with an annual Total Access Pass
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from TulaneInsider.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Topics to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite topics. Click link to add to
Football > Tulane
View My HotList
Places to go:
Junior College Football
Things to do:
Things to buy:
Things to know:
Terms of Service
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2013 Microsoft