2012 Compu-Picks Previews Each 1-A League: Conference USA
8/25 Practice Report
- Biggest news on the injury front is that Orleans Darkwa was at today's practice without a walking boot on and was not noticeably limping as he walked up and down the sidelines. This is good news as the team aims to have him back for the opener.
- Others not dressed out today include WR Jamar Thomas, WR Fudge Van Hooser, OL Greg Thomson, OL Nate Skold, TE Josh Drum, CB Kendrick Banks, LB Ray Oppman, and WR Brent Comardelle.
- Quick notes on Green Wave Freshmen players, as most of those participating in practice have impressed. Again, the standout seems to be DB Darion Monroe who is making the biggest impression. Others have noted that the freshmen OL who have been rotating in and out with the 1's have a lot of raw potential and will continue to develop into monsters as they progress.
- The team has begun full prep for Rutgers as the game is only a week away. The one's faced off against each other all practice, with each side rotating each period who was running the Rutgers' plays and who ran Tulane's plays. In talking to players and coaches this was taken from the Saints' style of practice. I asked Coach Johnson and Coach Washington about this after practice. See below for the quotes.
- Special Teams interrupted the installation of Rutgers' plays to work kickoffs and field goals. Santos made all of his field goals including a couple difficult angles from left hash from 40 to 50 yards. Santos also booted his kickoffs into the end zone with Ryan Rome kicking a few sunshine kicks to the 5.
- Standout players of practice include Darryl Farley who had a pick six during defense installation, Ryan Grant ran some great routes and caught a few deep balls , but the entire defensive backfield played very well collecting a handful of interceptions from QBs Ryan Griffin and Devin Powell.
Quotes from Coach Johnson:
On the ones v. Ones starting out the scout team: "The best part about the way we do that is to get a full speed rep and it gives both sides a much better look.
On today's practice: "We had guys out there today that just don't know how to practice yet and we are getting through that. It's a matter of getting them in the system, but we had a good practice today, I feel good about it."
Coach Lionel Washington quotes:
On Rutgers QB Announcement: "it doesn't change anything, we have been preparing to play Rutgers and we just have to go out and do what we do well."
On the ones v. Ones for scout teams: "I think it gives us good reps and a more realistic look for what we are going to see in the games. It sets the tempo right so once the tempo is set we can have the rest of practice go right too."
Standouts for the week: "everyone is standing out. The whole defense is working hard and taking care of their responsibilities and we are looking good. Whether it's covering the deep ball, or squeezing a three technique, everyone is doing their job."
TulaneInsider.com Recommended Stories
Week 8: Super Sleepers
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Jeb Gorham digs in his list of rankings to find the best sleepers for deeper formats. Consider giving these players a chance, but be aware of the risk! Tampa Bay…Read More
Watch: Sailfish Goes Psycho!
Check out this classic video of Dan Larson battling an acrobatic sailfish on a trip to the world-famous Tropic Star Lodge in Panama.Read More
BOMBS AWAY: ISIS BEFORE AND AFTER AIRSTRIKE
Photographer Bulent Kilic captured these amazing images of ISIS members who were on the very wrong end of an allied bombing in Turkey.Read More
TBT: Pumpkin Carving With A Handgun
While many hunters are focused on pursuing big game in late October, it’s also time to make sure you’re ready for Halloween, and specifically trick-or-treaters. In this throwback Thursday video,…Read More
Sullivan weighs seriousness of concussions
John Sullivan has suffered five concussions in his seven-year career, but he doesn’t believe his future is “in doubt.” He weighs the severity of the concussions against the number of them.Read More